Friday, February 26, 2010

I built a table!

Let me start this post by saying that I have no carpentry experience. I own a drill, and I've used it twice.

So it all started when I decided I needed a new dining room table. I wanted an old barn wood farmhouse style table. I shopped around online, and found this table at Restoration Hardware:



Surprise! It's almost $3000. And too big to fit in my dining room. Pottery Barn had a similar table for $2000, which I was also not willing to pay.


Anyway, I found this website, knockoffwood.blogspot.com. The owner of the blog, Ana, also wanted the $3000 table. But she has carpentry experience (if you haven't browsed her website you need to go.... RIGHT NOW). Well, lucky for me, she decided to build the table herself and posted the plans she used so that others could build it, too. At first I was thinking "there's NO WAY I can build a table." But her plans seemed pretty simple, and she said it only took her 9 hours and $10 to build it. So I printed the plans, got a friend and headed to Home Depot.



She let me use her patio as a workspace since I was in the middle of moving. So, with the help of her boyfriend, we cut and notched out the wood, and started building.


It wasn't as hard as I thought. The worst part was that I made a rookie mistake and didn't make sure all my top boards were straight. This was EXTREMELY important when it came time for the table top. I had to go back to Home Depot three times before I had enough straight pieces of wood.


But we finished building it, sanded it down really well, and stained it, and this is how it turned out:



Not bad, for an amateur! I am looking forward to building more furniture from knockoffwood.blogspot.com. Thanks, Ana!

No comments:

Post a Comment