Wednesday, February 3, 2010

What is Steampunk?

I've been seeing a lot of "steampunk" labeled accessories lately. Actually, I think this term applies more to clothing than interior decorating. In my opinion, "steampunk" could be described as "vintage industrial eclectic". I did a few searches and this is what came up...

First, to good old, Google images. The first one is a steampunk keyboard. Someone actually made this from one of those really old plastic computer keyboards from the 80s. Read about it here.



The next one is a watch. Not sure if you could wear this without having to drag your wrist behind you everywhere, but it's definitely a conversation starter:




Next I headed over to Craigslist to find some local steampunk home decor. The title of the posting is "Neo - Victorian ~{{ STEAMPUNK}}~ Calculation Engine (Computer)." Ummmmmm, Ok. Whatever that is... A calculation engine? Well, the near $1000 price tag is enough to quell my curiosity. Here's the link. Here's the picture:




Then it was over to eBay, where I found these goggles.


They remind me of the aviator glasses that Snoopy used to wear when he pretended to be the Flying Ace.


Last stop, Wikipedia. Quoting directly from them (and they quote pretty much anyone!) "steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction and speculative fiction, frequently featuring elements of fantasy, that came into prominence in the 1980s and early 1990s. The term denotes works set in an era or world where steam power is still widely used—usually the 19th century, and often Victorian era England—but with prominent elements of either science fiction or fantasy, such as fictional technological inventions like those found in the works of H. G. Wells and Jules Verne, or real technological developments like the computer occurring at an earlier date. "

Interesting.

In other events (and, since I can't sleep) - I'm done with my table! Oh, wait... you have no idea what I'm talking about. Well, I'll have a full post soon, but for now I'll give you a hint:



Night!

No comments:

Post a Comment